Tuesday 26 September 2017

I Sea Pasta Tagliatelle from Seamore

alternatives to pasta, sustainable food


If you watched the latest episode of Outlander season 3 on Amazon yesterday, you might remember the scene where Jamie asks the prison governor if he would allow prisoners to go on the moors to catch rabbits and collect seaweed from the shores. The governor seems to be taken aback, until Jamie explains that the seaweed is a food source and a known cure for scurvy.
Years ago, I remember reading The Camerons by Robert Crichton, and the famous scene with the kelp soup prepared by the poor Highlander Gillon.

These days of healthier food trends as well as challenges towards a more sustainable future, seaweed is becoming in vogue as an alternative to everyday foods.
Seamore is a brand on a quest to change the way we eat with their healthy seaweed range.
Seamores founder Willem Sodderland is on a mission to replace half the world's pasta with seaweed alternatives. While I think it's not going to happen very soon (and we are not ready to give up on pasta; it would cause a revolution and chaos in Italy), I'm happy to explore the healthy food niche and discover new foods, especially that I do enjoy seaweed products.
I often buy seaweed thins (I find them very addictive) and sea salt with seaweed.

Infographics credit: Seamore

I Sea Pasta Tagliatelle from Seamore is a low carb alternative to pasta. It is full of natural goodness, with 50% of your daily vegetables, 80% fewer calories and packed full of iodine, iron and Omega 3.
I Sea Pasta is available from Planet Organic for £5.99 and several London stores (check out My Organic Hunter).

alternatives to pasta

I was very curious to try this alternative to pasta.
As I was cooking seaweed tagliatelle, our house started smelling like a beach on a hot day, with the salty seaweed baking in the sun. It's quite a pungent smell, not unpleasant but strong nevertheless.
It reminded me of our holiday to Agropoli in Italy, where the local beach was covered with big cushions of seaweed after every high tide.

I Sea Pasta Tagliatelle look like something you would kick with a foot on a beach.

sustainable food sources, alternatives to pasta


What does it taste like? Definitely not like pasta, so you won't be able to deceive anyone. Not even like a squid ink black pasta. It tastes, well, like seaweed, which is not a criticism, just an observation.
I served it with a few prawns and tomatoes (fresh and sun-dried) scattered over seaweed, with a bit of chopped basil and mozzarella (I wasn't cooking this for vegetarians or vegans).
I think I will be also trying to add a little bit of this seaweed pasta to a fish-based soup.

alternatives to pasta


One 100g pack of I Sea Pasta provides 4 servings when cooked. This is 100% wild, handpicked seaweed from Connemara, Ireland and Brittany, France.
Nutritional information: 178kcal per 100g uncooked pasta. It is a great source if fibre, protein, potassium, calcium, iodine and vitamin C.

sustainable food sources


It is non GMO, seastainable, vegan, gluten free, organic, low cal - all great credentials.
Once you cook it, the levels of potassium, sodium and iodine go down. If you fancy it super healthy, then soak it in cold water for 45 minutes rather than cook.
I confess I haven't tried it raw, I will leave this foodie discovery to you, please do share what you think with me if you have tried it uncooked.

alternatives to pasta


Disclosure: I received a pack of I Sea Pasta for the purposes of testing and reviewing. All opinions are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm not sure about this one - I like to give new foodie products a try so I'd definitely taste it once but I'm not sure it would be a hit in our house, especially with the kids ! Pairing it with seafood is definitely a goo didea though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought too. My guys would turn their noses away at the smell, they're rather unadventurous when it comes to food.

      Delete