Saturday 4 February 2017

Dark chocolate & strawberry cake mix cookies

cake mix recipes, chocolate cookies


After spending almost a week in bed with a rotten cold-flu thingy, I'm slowly getting back into the world of the living. My guys had to live on sandwiches and soup, as I wasn't well enough to cook. Now that I'm feeling better, I thought it's time to bake something today, albeit very simple.
Cookies never last long in this house, but I'm a tad bored of making the same choc chip oat cookies.
For being a foodie, I have a strange fascination with cake mixes. It might be the association with childhood and baking cakes as a kid, I cannot explain why I have a fondness for them. It's not like I cannot bake anything from scratch. I even have a board on Pinterest dedicated just to recipes with cake mixes.
I also know perfectly well that they are not exactly health food, if anything, quite the opposite. Yet buy them I do, and often enough.

baking cookies with cake mix


Having a rummage in my kitchen, I took out a box of strawberry cake mix, remaining half a bar of dark chocolate, mild olive oil and a small sachet of oats.

Dark chocolate strawberry cake mix cookies
Ingredients:
1/2 box of strawberry cake mix (220g)
45ml mild olive oil
1 medium egg
30g oats
50g dark chocolate, chopped

In a medium bowl mix together all the ingredients - cake mix, olive oil, egg, oats and chopped dark chocolate. Divide into walnut-sized pieces, roll into balls, then flatten them and place on the baking trays lined with kitchen foil or parchment paper.
Bake for 12+ minutes until lightly golden. They will still be soft when you take the trays out.
Cool on the wire rack.
Eat warm or cold, with milk, tea or coffee.

cookies made with cake mix

I always have a stash of chocolate bars in the kitchen, mostly dark, as milk and white chocolate doesn't last long here (my guys love white and milk chocolate). I enjoy just a little bit of dark chocolate at a time, and love different flavours, so you can find several opened bars in the kitchen at any given time.

Adding this post to #KitchenClearout linky run by Cheryl from Madhouse Family Reviews.


1 comment:

  1. These look delicious and I always have cake mixes in the cupboard too, for when the kids want to bake but I'm short on time ! Glad to hear you're starting to feel better too xxx

    ReplyDelete